Friday, January 30, 2009

What's so Inspiring about the Cult of Snuggie?

I must admit that I am a skeptical person. So when my daughter came to me in early December saying she wanted to buy something based on an infomercial, I said no.

It was only after what seemed to be three "But why Daddy?" types of pestering did I even begin to ask questions.

"What is it you want to buy? A Snuggie? What's a Snuggie?

"What? It's a blanket? You have at least 5 blankets on your bed already. You don't need any more blankets.

"No Daddy, its a special blanket. It has sleeves."

"A blanket with sleeves? That's called a bathrobe, sweetie. You already have a bathrobe."

"No Daddy, it's not a bathrobe. It's a blanket with sleeves in front and it keeps you warm.

"How do you know it keeps you warm, when you dont have one?

"It looks really, really warm. See they have a website."

Yes, they had a website. One that looked every bit of a scam. Buy one and get a second Snuggie for only $9.95! Blanket with sleeves. Who would buy such a thing! But being a parent means looking for opportunities to teach lessons and here was a lesson staring me right in the face.

Of course, I was looking pretty smart when after two weeks nothing showed up in the mail. My daughter was getting concerned it wouldn't arrive by Christmas because she wanted to give one away as a gift. December 25th crept closer and finally I had to call Snuggie Customer Service. It took 3 separate calls to get to the correct order verification department. Snuggies were back ordered. 4-6 weeks for delivery. No Christmas present.

The skeptical part of me started to worry. Was this a scam? The parental part of me dealt with my daughter's disappointment. Fast forward to last week.

The Snuggies arrived. No doubt about it. Blanket with sleeves. My daughter was a happy customer. And I was glad that she wasn't going to be subjected to a scam. End of story, or so I thought.

My curiosity was still piqued. Why did it take 4-6 weeks for a blanket? The answer to that question came from this recent USA Today article.

4 Million Snuggies SOLD.
250 Facebook groups AND you can watch the Cult of Snuggie here.




Blankets with Sleeves. America! What a country!

0 comments:

Post a Comment